Thursday, September 6, 2012

the power of MANY

Snowflakes... one little snowflake is so teeny tiny. It doesn't really do anything of significance on it's own beyond giving you something very pretty to look at. But if you put together LOTS of snowflakes, you have some serious power:


The same thing applies to your eating and exercise choices. One little choice (good or bad) done for one day won't do much on it's own, but if you repeat the behavior over many many days it will have a big effect. And when you string together LOTS of little choices over many days - whether those choices are good or bad - you will eventually see really big results!

I have made lots of seemingly tiny changes to my behavior in the first part of my weight loss journey. Water instead of soda. No sugar in my coffee. Vegetables as my side at a restaurant. Egg whites or egg beaters instead of real eggs. Walking instead of driving. They all add up together and over time. I am positive that since I allowed my many little changes to become my daily habits I have been able to keep the first thirty pounds I lost from returning.

And just when I thought I really couldn't make any more "little" changes, today I did exactly that. After lunch I am accustomed to having a small piece of chocolate, and later in the afternoon I have a snack. Today I decided to postpone the just-after-lunch chocolate and make *it* my afternoon snack. Just one little snowflake, but there are MANY more to come. :)

(image is from SnowCrystals.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment