Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Consistency - 181.2

Quitting my job back in December so that I could take back my health and sanity may seem extreme, but really it was just what had to happen. I recognized that I could not adjust how I wanted my life to look, while remaining in the situation I was in. I was unable to incorporate consistent healthy habits in the midst of that environment, so at the end of the day, I chose me over the money. 

January and February were for decompressing and getting back to a healthy routine. Things I am now doing consistently for my health, both physical and mental:

  • Tracking calories with the aim to hit my 50%-30%-20% fat-carb-protein ratio
  • Following Caroline Girvin's workouts - Epic Beginner complete, Epic 1 started yesterday
  • WW job
  • House chores
  • Calling my mom just to chat at least twice a week
  • Seeing friends at least once a week
  • Skiing at least once a week

March is for assessing my view of a good life, beyond just good health, and taking steps that are actually in line with that. Plus, I want to continue and BUILD ON the healthy things I've been doing. 

Things I want to be more consistent about:

  • Daily dog walks
  • Daily declutter (add something small, like a drawer or a cabinet each day)
  • Daily stretch or yoga routine
Lent starts tomorrow. I think I can just incorporate those three bullets above into my days for Lent. In addition, I'd like to cut sugar and alcohol on weekdays. So, how will I do all this? 

  • Daily dog walks - these can happen at lunch
  • Daily declutter - this can happen in the space between breakfast and lunch. Literally this doesn't have to be more than 15 minutes. I can do a single drawer or a single shelf, or if I'm feeling ambitious, a cabinet or closet (more time, but fine!)
  • Daily stretch/yoga - ideally this will follow a workout. But I can also carve out some time every day before breakfast. I need to be waking up a bit earlier anyhow, I can start that tomorrow. Wake up and stretch/sun salutations. 
As for cutting the sugar and alcohol, I'll have substitutes on hand (like fruit and dates for the sugar, and diet ginger ale or kombucha as alcohol subs). That is really just a mindfulness thing. I'll probably keep the Friday night bourbon, and some weekend wine or cocktails, but I can be mindful there, too. Realistically I don't want to eliminate sugar and alcohol completely from my life, (hello, maple syrup on weekend waffles!) but I definitely see the benefits of - and have the desire to practice - moderation around them. 

Getting my head straight about consistency for my health really is key for me. I am on my way, there. None of this is extreme. It's really just what I want to become. So now I go DO.

Happy first day of March. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment