Sunday, July 9, 2023

transformation v2 - 168.1

Me and Charley P, July 4, 2023
Well I'm about two weeks out from racing my first IronMan 70.3. Training has been so much fun - I'm not working, so I've had lots of time to train, and if you do the workouts it turns out the race is even more fun! I ended up getting 2nd on the podium for my age group in the Olympic race I did about a month ago. I'm excited to go for the longer half IM distance. This was my last week of hard work, and I feel ready for the race.

At the end of last year, I did hire a coach because I didn't know what I was doing or should do for training, I didn't want to get injured, and I DID (and still do) want to have a good time at the race. The funny thing is the coach I thought I wanted to work with turned out to be all wrong for me (apparent after one conversation with them) and the coach I never thought I'd like turned out to be exactly the perfect coach for me (also apparent after one conversation with them!) I am very happy that I've been able to devote time to following the training plan, learning everything I could, stretching and RESTING to avoid injury, and getting exposure to new bike routes, friend groups, training partners and trails to run. I have no doubt I could have followed a training plan and gotten enough interaction, social time and workout variation from my tri club to train on my own, but having a great coach that I really enjoy working with opened up so many other doors and made the experience, well, in the words of Caroline Girvan, a journey I never want to end! And, let me tell you what, hiring a coach who happens to be a Hall of Famer in your weakest discipline is an excellent method for you to drastically improve that discipline! 

Outside of my coach, I'm really lucky to have so much support. Especially Mr. Scandinavian Mullet, he is a super supportive spouse. Some days I swear HE is happier than I am with what I'm doing. For us, training for a 70.3 really is a team effort, even though I'm the only one racing! I have not returned to working in Corporate America, it's now been a year and a half. I'm a lot happier. I still work part time for Weight Watchers, as a Coach. I love the job. It is a corporate machine, though, so there are always tradeoffs. But it's been super inspiring to be on the other side as a workshop leader. I love doing it, though it's not sustainable (I've called it my "charity work" due to the low pay and infrequent hours). It has been very rewarding and I'm very, very happy I've done it. I really love supporting my members, and they support me, too. Same for RMTC and my training buddies through my coach. We're all a support system for each other, showing up to workouts, cheering each other on at races, having fun on epic bike rides like the one in this picture on the 4th of July - which, Charley P, the head coach for RMTC, is 76 years old this month, and this last mile was the ONLY time he was behind me on the ride! LIFE GOALS!
Charley had commented to my coach that I've really transformed myself into a good athlete over the past year. Mr. Scandinavian Mullet said the same thing. I told my coach that I *used* to know what it was like to race and train, 25 years ago on the crew team! And her response was perfect... "I could tell you were a college athlete from the way your body responds to training. Once an athlete, always an athlete." 
Managing my weight through training has been a challenge, even with all the extra activity. But I'm currently happy with how I feel and how I look. I'd like to be carrying a few less pounds in two weeks when I race, but I'm totally fine with where I am. My grandma died recently, at almost 99 years old, and she took really great care of her body. We're dealing with hubs' mom in and out of hospitals, rehab facilities, etc. because she has not taken such good care of herself. Watching the aging process and results for both situations has been the most excellent learning experience for me. I will choose to do whatever I can to keep myself in the best possible shape, for as long as I live. 
And that's where I am today. Happy. I love being in shape and being able to trail run, swim outside, go on long epic bike rides, do big races. I don't take my health for granted. It's a gift, and I am truly grateful for it. The friend who got me into signing up for the race ended up bailing on it for a different race (a full IM she's wanted to do for a long time) but I'm so glad she got me to sign up. I've loved the training, I've done the work, I'm ready and excited to GO!
Oregon, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment